Reporting to the Head Chef, the Sous Chef is responsible for upholding all the Dominion Bar + Kitchen brand standards and expectations. The Sous Chef will support the Head Chef with training and development of the team while leading by example to provide a engaged and positive working environment.
- Ensures food preparations and service standards are consistently achieved and maintained.
- Ensures all kitchen team members are adequately trained and provides the resources where needed.
- Ordering all food products and supplies.
- Maintenance and organization of coolers, freezers, and storage areas.
- Understands labor control procedures and helps manage labor.
- Ensures a safe work environment is maintained at all times.
- Helps to conduct regular departmental meetings.
- Builds a positive, diverse and inclusive team culture.
- Lives and exemplifies Dominion Bar + Kitchen values of leadership, teamwork, integrity and creativity.
- Assists the Front of House Managers in monthly labor, food and beverage revenue forecast.
- Ensures adherence to food safety regulations, hygiene and cleanliness as per provincial and local standards.
- Performs monthly inventory in a timely manner with price extensions.
- Ensures the smooth operations of the kitchen and all facets of the kitchen operations, reporting repairs needed to the General Manager.
- Prepare the required menu for special events.
- Menu development, costing and implementation in coordination with the General Manager and Head Chef.
- Ensure appropriate levels of inventory and its utilization and rotation.
- Ensures kitchen labor cost is within the budgeted target.
- Responsible for the overall cleanliness and presentation of kitchen staff.
- Ensures that fire plan knowledge, food safety and WHMIS training is kept up to date.
- Complies with WCB rules and regulations and maintains awareness of any/all other relevant laws and statutes.
- Performs other duties as assigned and directed by Head Chef.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma required; Red seal certificate preferred; Food Safe - Level 1 and minimum 1- 2 years Sous Chef experience or 5 years strong supervisory experience in a full service restaurant
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior communication skills including the ability to retain, coach, mentor and develop staff
- Ability to work with others in a fast paced customer service oriented environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi - task and coordinate multiple functions and activities.
- Ability to effectively use business software including Google Office Suite preferred
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of employment standards.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to work evenings and weekends as business dictates.
Dominion Bar + Kitchen is the centre point of Surrey City Centre — an inspired downtown experience with local comfort. Our innovative menus are centred around New Canadian entrées, appetizers, and classic favourites, with a focus on locally sourced ingredients. Paired with an exciting list of signature cocktails, amazing BC wines and craft beer, Dominion offers our team members a variety of benefits, including competitive wages, health and dental benefits, and the ability to advance your career through training and development opportunities!View Company