Posted 1 month ago
Entry level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. Leads staff while personally assisting in all areas of the kitchen, including food production; purchasing and kitchen sanitation. Position contributes to ensuring guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
• Performs all duties of Culinary and related kitchen area employees in high demand times.
• Oversees production and preparation of culinary items.
• Ensures employees keep their work areas clean and sanitary.
• Works with Restaurant and Banquet departments to coordinate service and timing of events and meals.
• Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
• Strives to improve service performance.
• Communicates areas in need of attention to staff and follows up to ensure follow through.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
Supporting Culinary Team Activities
• Supervises daily shift operations.
• Ensures all employees have proper supplies, equipment and uniforms.
• Supervises staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Ensures completion of assigned duties.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process, giving feedback as needed.
• Handles employee questions and concerns.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions for each position.
• Participates in an on-going employee recognition program.
• Conducts training when appropriate.
• Monitors employee's progress towards meeting performance expectations.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the departmental goals to produce desired results.
• Supports and assists with new menus, concepts and promotions for the Restaurant outlets and Banquets.
Providing Exceptional Customer Service
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
• Reports malfunctions in department equipment.
• Purchases appropriate supplies and manages food and supply inventories according to budget.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings (e.g., Daily Stand Up, BEO, Pre-Cons, Staff, Forecast, Department and Intradepartment).
Stimulate your sense of adventure and discovery at The Westin Edmonton. Sitting in the capital city of Alberta, Canada, our modern downtown Edmonton hotel connects you with the thrilling Arts District and surrounding restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Expand your expectations for comfort in 416 guest rooms and suites, each boasting breathtaking skyline views. Rejuvenation takes many forms at this Edmonton, Canada, hotel—including delicious meals at Share Restaurant, holistic spa treatments, workouts in our fitness center or laps in our heated indoor pool. Business travelers will appreciate our high-speed internet access, in-room, ergonomic work stations and full-service business center. For meetings, special events and weddings, we showcase 11 venues with 15 combinations and over 25,000 square feet of space. Plus, the Edmonton Convention Centre is just outside, and the Edmonton EXPO Centre is 10 minutes away. Make The Westin Edmonton your stellar introduction to the Gateway to Canada’s North.