Posted 14 days ago
Gabriel’s Café is looking for a Chef to join their team. We are a small restaurant with a big heart, busy hands, and a passion for supporting the Nanaimo community. We are a Farm-to-Table and sustainability driven family of caring individuals who work together to bring exceptional service and delectable dishes to our guests. We pride ourselves on understanding where our food comes from and how ingredients can be brought together to make culinary magic. We now need someone who can help us maintain our reputation for delicious farm fresh cuisine, lead and support our kitchen team, and continue to grow with us as a company. We are looking for someone who:
• Is a dynamic leader with experience managing busy kitchens
• Has a comprehensive understanding of ingredients, allergens, and dietary/lifestyle restrictions
• Is energetic and has a love for healthful food
• Is comfortable learning all the roles in our kitchen and being hands on
• Is passionate about sustainability and maintaining relationships with our Farmers
• Can understand and adhere to existing prep charts and recipes
• Is an exceptional communicator
• Is calm under pressure and a natural problem solver
• Will work with ownership to follow and improve existing systems and procedures
• Would like to work towards developing specials and menu items in the future
• Can handle a demanding summertime schedule and manage their time efficiently
• Red Seal certification considered a bonus
Our hours of operation are 8am -7pm daily. Shifts start as early as 6am and end as late as 10pm.
This position requires management of all aspects of the food operation for the restaurant in an efficient and profitable manner. This is a hands-on role that is responsible for maintaining the high level of quality and consistency that our customers have grown to expect.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
a. Work with the owners and existing team to learn all roles in our kitchen.
b. Manage the team and your own time efficiently.
c. Maintain and foster existing and new relationships with our famers, partners, and suppliers.
d. Gain a comprehensive knowledge of our recipes and menu, and in time develop feature dishes and new menu items.
e. Work from our prep sheets and with existing systems and procedures – while working with ownership to improve these over time.
f. Schedules, inventory, ordering, and other back-of-house administrative duties.
d. Training new recruits in all kitchen positions.
• Ability to prioritize and stay organized in a high-paced environment
• Experience holding management role in high volume restaurant line environment
• Experience managing a team of up to 20 people
• A creative and inspiring approach to menu planning that considers seasonal and locally available products as well as global food trends
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Fluency in English both written and verbal
• Ability to work flexible hours including mornings, days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays
• Must be able to carry and lift items weighing 30lbs
• Must be able to stand and move for extended periods of time to continuously perform essential job functions
• Current and valid Food Safety Certification