Jan 17, 2022Job Number
Food and Beverage & CulinaryLocation
W Toronto, 90 Bloor Street East, Toronto, ONT, Canada VIEW ON MAPBrand
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
Prepare breads and pastries, including preparing doughs and fillings, proofing, baking, and decorating as appropriate. Review Production sheet to understand variety of baked goods to be produced daily. Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality and presentation standards, and food prep checklists. Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance. Keep Chef informed of excess food items for planning of daily specials. Safely and appropriately use baking and measuring tools/equipment/appliances to prepare baked foods. Follow and ensure compliance with food safety handling policies and procedures, including personal hygiene procedures. Check and ensure correct temperatures of kitchen appliances and food, and report issues to management. Monitor the quality of food prepared and portions served throughout shift.
Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; complete safety training and certifications. Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Anticipate and address guests’ service needs. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Work with the Executive Chef & Sous Chefs in creating menu ideas for both a la carte and banquets.
- Create innovative dishes for the amenity program
- Participate in hotel and guest activations, programming, live stations
- Keep abreast of up to date knowledge in the industry to ensure current and most innovative pastry trends, modern techniques, presentation and unique flavor combination are being utilized.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
- Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance (e.g., A1, A2, QA).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Inform Chef of any excess food items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
- Maintain food logs for all food products (e.g., production charts).
- Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food to identify needed items and ensure neat and orderly storage, and communicate potential product shortages, or price changes, to supervisor/manager.
Sanitation and Maintenance
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
- Set-up and break down workstation tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
- Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel.
- Disassemble and assemble kitchen equipment following safety procedures when cleaning.
- Ensure food storage areas are clean.
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
- Use baking tools (for example, rolling pin, dough scraper, biscuit and dumpling cutters, sifter) to prepare baked foods.
- Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or
- specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Prepare and create breads and pastries, including preparing doughs and fillings, proofing, baking breads and breakfast pastries, and decorating as appropriate.
- Review Production Sheet to understand daily variety of baked goods to be produced, finished, packaged, and stocked.
- Mix icings, frosting, and glazes to decorate pastry items using icing bags, cutters, and miscellaneous hand tools.
- Create molds from chocolate and other ingredients
- . Tempering chocolate, confections, and candy production
- Prepare bakery merchandise by accurately following thawing and baking guidelines to ensure product quality and visual appearance within production timelines.
- Convert measurements (for example, teaspoons to tablespoons) using measurement chart.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
- Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
table-touches and engage with the guests, welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name every time.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Provide assistance to individuals with disabilities, including assisting visually, hearing, or physically-impaired individuals within guidelines (e.g., escorting them when requested, using words to explain actions, writing directions on paper, moving objects out of the way, or offering access to Braille or TDD phones).
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Thank every guest upon departure, invite them to return, and wish them a fond farewell.
General Food and Beverage Services
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day, practicing clean-as-you-go procedures.
- Inspect the cleanliness and presentation all china, glass, and silver prior to use
- Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen.
- Set tables according to type of event and service standards, including types of linens, glassware, plate/chinaware, and silver/flatware, ensuring all supplies meet quality standards.
- Ability to articulate menu items to staff and guests alike.
- Complete closing duties, including storing all reusable goods, breaking down goods, cleaning all equipment and areas, returning equipment to proper locations, locking refrigerators, restocking items, turning off lights, locking doors, and completing daily cleaning checklist.
“At Marriott, we are committed to putting our associates first and their health and safety are our highest priorities. This position requires associates to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 per current Public Health Agency of Canada standards or approved for a Human Rights accommodation.”
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Notification to Applicants: W Toronto takes seriously its obligations under provincial human rights and accessibility legislation (such as the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, and Nova Scotia Accessibility Act). We are happy to provide accommodations to job applicants needing assistance. If you require an accommodation in relation to this job posting, our online application or an interview, please call 905-366-5227 or email CanadaApplicationAccommodation@marriott.com and a member of our Human Resources team will respond to your request. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accessibility accommodation as part of the recruiting process.