Summary of Work Performed
The Kitchen Manager is a member of the operations team which provides a high level of support
to the General Manager through the implementation and execution of food related company
programs, systems & standards, team member training & development and a commitment to
exceptional guest service (MIKES BEST) in MR MIKES SteakhouseCasual.
1. Specific Responsibilities & Expectations
• Expectation of a 45-55 hour work week.
• Effective execution of cooking and presentation standards, with minimization of QSA’s.
• Quality of product is a priority.
• Execution times consistently within expected standards
• Complete understanding of prep procedures and minimization of unnecessary waste
through constant monitoring of prep and par levels.
• Daily, weekly and monthly inventories are performed and food cost calculation is
completed at the close of business every Sunday.
• Food Cost must be controlled within the accepted costing structure and standards. Cost
Cutting in not acceptable.
• Effective and efficient inventory control; dead stock is minimized and phased out of
inventory, levels maintained at an acceptable level while ensuring shortages of product are
avoided and over-ordering is avoided to prevent waste
• Accurate ordering which will include food, chemical, smallwares, paper goods an d MAY
include bar supplies, non-alcoholic beverages and glassware.
• Product rotation and food storage area organization. KM to be actively involved with all
major food/supply deliveries; checking orders for quality, accuracy and FIFO rotation
principles are being followed. All delivery errors and credit issues are resolved in a timely manner
• Creation, implementation and utilization of daily, weekly and monthly cleaning checklists.
• All checklists follow criteria/expectations laid out in MR. MIKES Operational Excellence Review.
• Hiring and training of new kitchen team members. Proper orientation procedures are followed
• Utilization and upkeep of MR. MIKES standard food & beverage tracking software
2. Support & Communication
• Works directly with the General Manager on specific store performance issues that have
been prioritized for action by operations.
• Assists General Manager in all aspects of restaurant management including but not limited
to, prime cost analysis and controls (Cost of Goods, Labour), training and development of
staff, and general execution of the MR. MIKES system in accordance with Brand Standards.
• Works with General Manager to develop and implement action plans that improve food cost
and kitchen labour. Attends weekly Key Staff Meetings to ensure target results are being
• Supports implementation of new operational programs, systems and procedures. Follows up
to ensure that staff are aware of new methods and are using them correctly.
• Communicates feedback from the staff to the General Manager. Communicates
recommendations for improvements to the General Manager.
• Maintain a positive working environment for all staff and fellow management.
• Scheduling and labour controls understood and executed. Effective hiring and de-hiring
• Daily one on ones, weekly team meetings and monthly job function meetings scheduled and
• Assists in the establishment and achievement of the operating budget for the restaurant.
• Responsible for remaining informed and interested in the foodservice industry, drawing to the attention of the General Manager trends, concepts, or ideas that may have application for MR. MIKES® SteakhouseCasual.
• Leads and/or participates in specific projects which may be assigned by operations from time to time
• Maintenance and upkeep of all kitchen manuals
• Successful roll out of features, menu updates and prep/cook & present procedures
• Communication to management team
• Roll out meetings with all team members
• High School Graduation
• Post – Secondary Education considered an enhanced asset but not a requirement
• Minimum 3 years of kitchen experience in high volume, casual dining restaurant
• Provincial Food Safety Certification
• Range based on experience