Welcome to the Starbelly Group!
The Starbelly Group is an upscale yet casual, family friendly, restaurant group. We are an innovative and evolving group focusing on locally sourced, made in house food, YYC brewed craft beer, and playful + fun crafted cocktails. We pride ourselves in bringing a modern authenticity, to both the menu offerings, and the dining rooms as well.
We are looking for a fun, passionate, chef that enjoys and is experienced in Mexican cuisine to lead the kitchen in our newest concept, CALAVERA CANTINA The ideal candidate will be passionate about execution, and putting up the best plate every time. People development and a strong work routine is an expectation, in order to drive a consistent kitchen culture.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Contribute to menu design, dish creation, seasonal menu changes, and training of new
• High standards with regards to spec of prep, cooking, plating, and garnish
• Prioritizes development of the sous team, as well as the prep and line team
• Schedule writing
• Oversee 100% health and safety standards in the BOH
• Period budget writing with GM
• Achieve budgeted operating costs (labour %, COG)
• Review profit + loss statements monthly and recognize areas of opportunities and
successes within the report. Develop action plans based on results
• Weekly sales forecasting
• Weekly food inventory and reporting. Develop action plans to be on budget for actual
food cost, and within the acceptable variance for theoretical food cost
• Maintain a staff turnover rate
• Implement clear and accurate prep chart structure
• Set the standard for all opening, crossover, and closing routines
• Hiring for all BOH positions.
• Committed to building a people pipeline to support the expansion of the Starbelly
• Prioritize clear and professional communication at all times
• Create a positive manager and employee experience by provided feedback and
recognition through development opportunities.
• Work with GM to elevate the guest to kitchen engagement experience.
• Equipment maintenance standards. System in place for preventative and repair
maintenance on HVAC, and kitchen equipment.
• Align with the GM on the quarterly and annual objectives for the restaurant
Proven experience as a Head Chef. Minimum 2 years of experience. Red Seal certification an asset
Creative approach to elevating cuisine
Experience in planning and budgeting
Strong understanding of menu design and costing
Knowledge of business process and functions (finance, HR, procurement, operations etc.)
Excellent communication skills
Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
Outgoing with a genuine interest in networking
Customer service skills an asset
“Your Community, Our Kitchen”
At Starbelly Open Kitchen & Lounge, we strive to provide authenticity in all that we do. Providing a genuine and meaningful dining experience is the inspiration to our outstanding cuisine, cocktails and foremost hospitality and exceptional standards of service. We strive to be the standard for how Calgarians view hospitality. Through our continual pursuit of service excellence, our goal is to provide a dining experience that inspires and invigorates customer senses and ensure their continued patronage.